TOUR 9: HANG TIEN CAVE 1 DAY DISCOVERY
Price: 86 US$/pax
- Operating: from December to mid-September
- Duration: 1 Day (10-12 hours)
- Adventure Level: Moderate for physically active guests
- Availability: Every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- Small Group Tours: Average 2 – 12 pax (minimum 2 pax)
The majestic cave known as Hang Tien, or “Fairy Cave”, has previously only been viewable on the Tu Lan Expedition. It is now showcased as the star of our 1 day tour.
As the largest cave in Tu Lan cave system, Hang Tien is famed for its enormous size and spectacular formations. Our guide will bring you into depths of Vietnamese jungle where the lost world of ancient rock configurations can be found dripping from the ceilings. This is truly a unique chance to enjoy the real wilderness of this country.
This tour is designed for those with just a day to explore the wild but still looking for an escape to the jungle along with adventure and of course, a beautiful cave.
Enter into Hang Tien where you’ll be taken away by the swirling patterns of limestone and rock. Rimstone pools, known as gours, also greet you at the entrance. You’ll explore different passages of this river cave and be in awe of its massive ceiling and formations.
The Hang Tien Discovery 1-Day is fitting for both true adventurers and also those with limited outdoor experience. Come check out our longest day tour, and the newest product of the season!
Pick up will take place from 7:00 – 7:30 am. From there the tour will head an hour and a half to Tan Hoa office, located 70 km from Phong Nha. The drive is beautiful, passing alongside jungle, fields and over the historic Da Deo pass. During the drive, you’ll also listen to a safety briefing led by your experienced tour guide.
Arrive at the office around 9:00 am where you’ll sign your Release Form, and collect equipment such as jungle boots, water bottles, lights, helmets, etc. You can leave your extra luggage at our office in the storage room.
At around 9:30 am, the group will take a drive over to the drop off point and start at the trailhead by 10:00 am. The trek begins with a hike through the forest over a hill. The last kilometer before the cave is very rocky with many boulders, as if the cave terrain has spilled out onto the landscape in front of it. You’ll enjoy a BBQ feast, including fresh pork and traditional spring roll wraps (vegetarian option available) before enter the spectacular cave. Around 12:30, you’ll start your exploration of the cave.
With formations rising up like a layer cake of rimstone pools and lush ferns, this cave is truly a unique specimen. As you explore, you’ll reach a small skylight in the cave, created from a shaft which overspills sunlight from the cave’s entrance. Beyond the skylight will be a ladder leading to the second section of the cave. You’ll venture through this next section of the cave, known as the high chamber. The exit of the cave lies just ahead – you have conquered Hang Tien!
You’ll make your way back, and get a chance to take a dip in the natural jungle pool you passed on the way in. You’ll have time for a coffee, a quick swim, and to take some photos before making your return journey.
You will be collected at the pickup point and head back to Tan Hoa. A shower awaits you at the office before the van ride back. The tour will finish around 7:30 pm in Phong Nha.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: hammock/tent, camp light, sleeping bag
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside the (light PVC) backpack
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
YOU WILL NEED
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries